I have been trying to do this recipe in a while and was finally able to. The Estrogonofe is a different take on the Russian dish Stroganoff and adjusted to fit more of the Brazilian palate. It’s still a Beef and cream dish with some different adjusted ingredients and typically served on rice and potato instead of pasta. I really enjoyed this dish and for me personally having a very good cut of meat with rich creamy sauce really made this dish amazing. It is also a fairly simple dish to make and because of that it was very quick to make. I highly recommend it for anyone that likes Stroganoff and wants to try a different style of it and since it’s so easy to make, for any beginner cooks.
- 2.2 lb (1 kg) filé mignon or other cut of lean beef, cut into thin 1-2 inch strips.
- 2 Tbsp. neutral vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 2 1/2 cups heavy cream (or sour cream)
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 3 Tbsp. mustard
- 2 tsp. Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- Season the strips of meat with salt and pepper to taste. In a pan add 1 Tbsp. of the oil, and fry the meat until browned but do not overcook the meat. Cook in batches to avoid overcrowding.
- In the same pan, heat the remaining Tbsp. oil, then add the garlic and cook until just beginning to brown. Add the onions and cook for 5-10 minutes, or until the onion is transparent but not browned.
- Return the meat to the pan, then add the cream, the ketchup, the mustard and Worcestershire sauce, stir to mix and then add the mushrooms.
- Cook for five minutes to allow the flavors to mix and the mushrooms to cook. Serve over rice and/or string potatoes. Enjoy!