Leche Flan (Pudim de Leite Condensado) is dessert I have always liked and makes me nostalgic eating them when i was growing up. It has a distinct look with the dark top and yellow and soft bottom with a bit of liquid sugar surrounding it. It is a sweet dessert, a milk pudding or custard so it’s very soft and melts in your mouth. It seems like there are a several variation of the recipe for this and what i made is a little bit of a mix but the taste is still very similar to the “classic” when i was growing up. It is a very simple recipe and uses very little amount of ingredients so it’s prefect for anyone just getting started. The only tricky part, was getting the caramelized sugar into the baking dish and having it stay liquid enough for me to evenly spread it around however doing the heat up the baking dish does the trick. I highly recommend this dish, especially for those who grew up in countries that had this growing up!
- 1 cup white sugar
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 3/4 cup whole milk, plus 2 tablespoons whole milk or subtitue with 1 can evaporated milk with equal parts of water
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Melt the sugar in a heavy saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring constantly. Once the sugar becomes a golden brown syrup after about 20 minutes, pour it immediately into a round baking dish, swirling so that the syrup coats all sides of the dish.
- Make sure to heat up the baking pan you are planning to use so the sugar doesn’t instantly harden. I put mine over an open stove top at low heat and poured the sugar after. Be careful as everything is pretty hot at this point. Set aside to cool.
- Place the egg yolks into a blender and blend on medium for 3 minutes, then add condensed milk, whole/evaporated milk, vanilla and egg whites. Continue to blend until all ingredients are combined.
- Pour egg mixture into the baking dish and cover with aluminum foil.
- Put your baking dish inside a large roasting pan and fill the roasting pan with boiling water to reach halfway up the sides of the baking dish.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a knife inserted 1 inch from the edge comes out clean, 50 to 60 minutes.
- The center of the flan will still be soft. Allow flan to cool for a few minutes before unmolding onto a plate. However make sure to take it out of the baking dish before it gets too cool or the sugar will start to stick. Refrigerate before serving. Enjoy!