I wanted to try making something with Lavender, so this was my first attempt. It turned out well, this has a bit more lemon than i made to try and make it a bit more punchy. The puff pastry i recommend getting is the President Choice Butter Puff Pastry, It makes a huge difference.
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tsp fresh lemon zest
- 3/4 tsp dried culinary lavender
- pinch of salt
- 2 sheets (16 oz) puff pastry, thawed and chilled
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted and sightly cooled
- Preheat oven to 400°F and grease two 12-cup standard muffin pans. Combine sugar, lemon zest, lavender, and salt in a food processor; blend for 1 minute until lavender is finely chopped. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons lemon-lavender sugar onto a large board. Unfold one sheet of puff pastry onto the board and press into the sugar with a rolling pin.
- Brush puff pastry with melted butter and sprinkle with 1/3 cup lemon-lavender sugar, pressing sugar into the pastry with a rolling pin. Roll up the dough tightly into a log; trim ends and score into 8 equal slices. Use a sharp knife or unflavored dental floss to slice dough crosswise (slip a long slice of floss under log of dough and cross on top to cut slices cleanly).
- Place slices spiral side up in prepared muffin pan and sprinkle generously with lemon-lavender sugar. Chill in the freezer for 10 minutes. Repeat process with second puff pastry sheet.
- Bake for 25 minutes, until buns are golden. Immediately (and carefully!) loosen buns from muffin pans with a metal spatula or butter knife and place on cooling racks. Let cool for 20 minutes before serving. Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature